All customers in possession of a Generation 3.0 avalanche airbag from the current winter 20/21 season are asked to check it using the instructions below or contact Mammut Customer Service. Generation 3.0, which has been available since the 16/17 season, can generally be identified by the neon-orange deployment handle - but only products from the current winter 20/21 season are affected. Older avalanche airbags from Generation 2.0 have a red activation handle and, like airbags from Generation 3.0 of the winter 16/17, 17/18, 18/19 or winter 19/20 seasons, are not affected.
It is very easy to identify whether the cartridge can be screwed in completely. The following inspection instructions will help you to carry out this check yourself. If the cartridge cannot be fully screwed in as described in the instructions, the affected airbag system may no longer be used and must be returned immediately to Mammut Customer Service for a free replacement. Mammut Customer Service is available at all times to answer any questions.
Thank you very much for following the call to the safety check - safety first! We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.
1. Determine whether your avalanche airbag is affected by this call for inspection
The affected Generation 3.0 airbag systems have a neon-orange deployment handle and were produced in winter 20/21.
The following items with Mammut Removable Airbag System (RAS) batch number 2011, which were delivered from the beginning of July 2020, should be checked:
|Product name||Item No.||Color||Size||Batch-No.|
|Pro X Removable Airbag 3.0||2610-01820-0001-135||black||35L||2011|
|Light Removable Airbag 3.0||2610-01501-0121-130||graphite||30L||2011|
|Pro Removable Airbag 3.0||2610-01270-0001-145||black||45L||2011|
|Ride Removable Airbag 3.0||2610-01250-50434-1030||dark ceramic-black||30L||2011|
|Ultralight Removable Airbag 3.0||2610-01520-0400-120||highway||20L||2011|
|Flip Removable Airbag 3.0||2610-01730-50434-1022||dark ceramic-black||22L||2011|
|Flip Removable Airbag 3.0||2610-01730-50430-1022||sapphire-black||22L||2011|
|Ultralight Removable Airbag 3.0||2610-01520-2221-120||arumita-night||20L||2011|
|Pro X Women Removable Airbag 3.0||2610-01840-50434-135||dark ceramic-black||35L||2011|
|Pro X Removable Airbag 3.0||2610-01820-50430-135||sapphire-black||35L||2011|
Where can I find the batch number of my Generation 3.0 avalanche airbag?
You can find the batch number of your avalanche airbag in the main compartment of your backpack in the area of the cartridge fixation.
Not affected are all Mammut and Snowpulse systems of Generation 2.0 with red handle or Generation 3.0 neon-coloured deployment handle of the seasons winter 16/17, winter 17/18, winter 18/19 or winter 19/20.
2. If it is one of the mentioned items with 3.0 system, please open the main compartment of the backpack to have access to the mechanism of the airbag inflation system (lateral cartridge fixation)
3. Check whether the cartridge is screwed completely into the mechanism of the Airbag Inflations System up to the stop or whether it can be screwed all the way in.
IMPORTANT: the cartridge is completely screwed in when the black rubber seal of the cartridge is no longer visible!
4. Evaluation of the preventive safety check
The cartridge can be screwed into the mechanism of the Airbag Inflation System up to the stop!
If the cartridge is screwed all the way into the mechanism of the Airbag Inflation System and the black rubber sealing ring of the cartridge is no longer visible, the cartridge is correctly installed in the mechanism of the Inflation System. Your airbag is fully functional after the cartridge has been correctly installed in the Airbag Inflation System and the rucksack is ready for use again.
Note: For instructions on how to correctly install the cartridge in the mechanism of the airbag inflation system and backpack, please refer to the airbag user manual
The cartridge can NOT be screwed completely into the mechanism of the airbag inflation system up to the stop!
If the cartridge CANNOT be screwed all the way into the mechanism of the Airbag Inflation System and the black rubber ring of the cartridge is visible, the airbag inflation system is fault.
The affected airbag system may no longer be used and must be returned immediately to Mammut Customer Service for a free replacement!
If you are unsure about the correct fixation between airbag balloon and airbag inflation system, please contact Mammut Customer Service.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. What can I do if I cannot check and repair the product on my own?
Please contact Mammut Customer Service. You can send the airbag to us free of charge and we will test it.
2. What exactly is the problem and the security risk?
If the cartridge is incorrectly installed in the mechanism of the airbag inflation system, the airbag balloon will NOT inflate correctly after deployment. Due to its incorrect function, the airbag cannot effectively protect the user from partial burial or burial in the event of an avalanche.
3. Has this installation problem led to any accidents?
This appeal for inspection is precautionary and we are not aware of any accidents. The installation problem was discovered during a routine quality and warehouse check.
4. Can my airbag system be permanently damaged by the installation error?
No - if the cartridge can be correctly screwed into the mechanism of the airbag inflation system, the system will work properly. Mammut will replace airbag systems that have been incorrectly installed with new airbag systems.
5. Is the installation problem only possible if the installation was carried out by Mammut, or is it possible if I installed the system myself?
Routine checks identified occasional installation problems of the airbag inflation system in Mammut's production plant. The error can be excluded if the cartridge is screwed into the airbag inflation system up to the stop and the black rubber sealing ring of the cartridge is no longer visible.
6. Are avalanche airbags by the licensed brands Evoc, Dakine, Jones, Thule, Rip Curl and Norrona also affected? Yes, the airbag systems 3.0 used in the licensee brands may also be affected by the installation error, even if these backpacks are delivered without an installed airbag system. Our licensees were informed immediately so that the inspection of their products could be initiated. If you own an airbag backpack of a Mammut licensee brand, we ask you to check the airbag system as well. The error can be excluded if the cartridge is screwed into the airbag inflation system up to the stop and the black rubber sealing ring of the cartridge is no longer visible.